|Subject||Strategy in business|
|Semester||5th semester (autumn)|
|Study programme:||Business studies (undergraduate)|
The course will be carried out in the Slovene language and is an elective course in accordance with the officially approved curriculum of the Undergraduate Degree Program in Business Studies.
Students must have a sufficient general knowledge, an adequate vocabulary and knowledge of Slovene language to be able to follow the lectures, to understand the study materials and to be capable of preparing practical exercises and seminar papers requiring a meaningful arrangement of contents, rational substantiation and logical reasoning.
To make known to the students the strategic reasoning, that will be essential to them in the realization of their business profession. This implies to act in an atmosphere of permanent conflict at it is the one of the market with much competition. It is a particular game of chess in which it is necessary to anticipate the plays of the opponent and try to overcome them.
The student will encounter the problem of strategic reasoning. They will be trained in the understanding and management of existing conflict situations in a competitive market.
When he/she has passed the examination, the student will be able to identify and evaluate the essence of any situation and try to overcome them
Teaching and learning activities
- Conflict. Essence of the problem.
- Concept of strategy. Philosophy of war or competition in the market. Strategy as anti-logic reasoning.
- The sources of strategic reasoning. Beginning in the history. Overpower changed by reasoning behavior.
- Strategy and tactic.
- Authors and their thought: Sun Tzu, Machiavelli, Clausewitz, Jomini, Liddel Hart, Aron, Beaufre.
- Business and flexibility. No violence, no standard situations, no permanent rules, no prescriptions.
- Innovation, creation, imagination, anticipation, overshooting.
- Authors in strategy of business.
- Ability to influence the market. Creation and acquisition of moral superiority.
- Influence in public opinion. Propaganda. Reasoning and creativity.
Evaluation systems and criteria
- Teacher explanations
- Conversation / debate
- Presentation of seminar papers
The evaluation system consists of seminar work (50% of the grade) and exam (50% of the grade).
Teaching and learning material
- Sun Tzu. 1996. Umetnost vojne. Ljubljana: Založba Amalietti.
- Freedman, Lawrence. 2013. Strategy. A history. Oxford University Press:
- Lutwak, Edward. 1995. Strategy. The logic of war and peace. The belknap press of Harvard University Press.
- Campbell, David – Stonehouse, George – Houston, Bill. 2004. Business Strategy. An introduction. Oxford. Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann.
- Dimovski, Vlado – Penger, Sandra – Žnidaršič, Jana. 2005. Sodobni management. Ljubljana. Ekonomska fakulteta v ljubljani.
- Pučko, Daniel – Čater, Tomaž – Rejc Buhovac, Adriana. 2006. Strateški management 2. Ljubljana: Ekonomska fakulteta v ljubljani.
- Before and after the lectures
- By agreement